Who I Am: Homeschooled, Part One

Last week, I discovered a new blog titled, "Homeschoolers Anonymous." Ah ha, I thought gleefully, Finally the stories are coming out in full force. Though I've spent many years reflecting on my homeschooling experience, first-hand accounts from others who grew up in the classroom of the Religious Right have until this point been largely scattered across the blogosphere in personal blogs or those that focus on related issues, such as fundamentalism, Gothardism, or Quiverfull beliefs.

Reading the stories that have been composed for and gathered from other blogs at Homeschoolers Anonymous has been eye-opening and at times incredibly validating. But I've also felt exasperated, resentful, and filled with sorrow upon reading some of the entries.


My reactions are certainly not directed at individuals who post at Homeschoolers Anonymous, because I have seen many similar sentiments expressed elsewhere; nor do I harbor ill-will against writers and posters who post at other pro-homeschooling or related blogs.

My dismay is in response to a blind spot I've noticed among homeschooling parents, and even their children, who deny and denounce the extremism that is present among homeschooling families.

But wait--you might be thinking--isn't it a good thing to denounce the extremism in homeschooling? It was covered up and ignored for so long!

Yes, of course it's a good thing. People who speak out against abuse are courageous and I applaud those who dare to acknowledge that abuse and neglect happens in homeschooling families and who call for reform or increased regulation. But remember the blind spot I mentioned?

I cringe when I read comments or posts from parents who insist that all homeschooling parents truly do mean well at heart and that they would never intentionally harm their children (although they may concede unintentional harm). I struggle to read these viewpoints while keeping an open mind, though I'm thankful that these parents are horrified at the thought of harming their children. However, as basically decent and caring people, they seem unable to admit that there are parents within their own religious and educational spheres who do intentionally inflict harm on their children. There may be people in their Bible study group or homeschool network who in fact do not have their childrens' best interest in mind. Their deacon or pastor or best friend may be one of those homeschoolers who really does want to control and indoctrinate their child at all costs, even if it means beating the child into submission or denying vital educational and social opportunities. I find myself wanting to reach through the computer and shake these naive and oblivious parents by the shoulders--can't they understand that by insisting that no homeschooling parent deliberately harms his or her child, they are invalidating the experiences of those children who know better?

But enough ranting for today, In my next entry, I'll tell my homeschooling story. I'll give you a spoiler until then: my parents were not exactly the benevolent type.


No comments:

Post a Comment